2.11.08

They know all about that…do I know anything?


This scene shows Rita excited about the play she went to see to a professional theatre. It was so exciting that she decided to tell Frank about it, maybe because she felt he was the only one who could understand her feelings about the play.

Although she found the play very interesting, she could not go into thinking deeply about it. That’s why Frank made her notice other things which were difficult for her to think about or did not realize about that play, she said she was not used to thinking like this.

After that, Rita went over to the window, where, I imagine, she could see the “proper students” and said, “all them out there, they know all about that sort of thing, don’t they?”

I think that despite the fact she is studying, improving and determining to go on, maybe she feels that she has not improved enough to know all, as people surrounding her at the University.

I think that Rita suffers from low self-esteem and need to build it up again. I believe she feels she would not be able to keep an open mind when thinking objectively. Perhaps Frank, studying and her own willpower to want to improve her thoughts may boost Rita’s self-esteem so she will not talk about “them” but “us”.

Once again, I understand Rita’ feelings.

6 comments:

Lili said...

Hello Gi!

I agree with you in that Rita feels she is not as clever as those students.
To tell you the honest truth,I sometimes feel the same like Rita and you and need someone to empower me. But when I realize all I have done since the beginning of my career, I can't believe it. So I try to remember a saying that I love because it strengthens me very much: "one never knows what one is able to do until one tries it".
Let's go on Giyo, we can do it.
Kisses,
Lili

Lucía G. said...

I agree with what Gi says about how Rita feels about her own process, she does not feel ready yet.

Can't you be sweeter Li? jajaja
You must always be proud of your achievements Li, we all need to do that. Otherwise, there will always be an evil person ready to discourage you. I believe everybody has their own pace to study and this does not determine how clever we are!

many huggies for you girls,
Lu

Adri Ambrosio said...

Hi! I think that Rita fells she has wasted her time at the shop,and she wants to learn about everything very quicky! That's why she compares herself with the "proper" students who know more than her and are younger...but i think she has a high self steem.

Gladys Baya said...

Here comes a big question: is it true that "proper students know it all about that"??? If they do, how did they get to know it?

If Frank asked you for advice, would you suggest he should encourage Rita to keep "running after" her stereotyped vision of proper students, or would you recommend he made her aware of the fallacy of her perceptions instead?

Eager to know what you think!

Big hug,
Gladys

Giyo said...

Hi Gla!
No, it isn't true that proper students, teachers, mothers, policemen, etc etc, know it all!!!!!
I think that I'd recommend him to make her aware of the fallacy of her perceptions. I think that when you think you know it all, your life is finished...
As you taught me last year, when you asked me: what is good /bad? and my life changed forever.
thanks Gla!!!!you make me life easier...indeed!

Gladys Baya said...

Just promise yourself never to forget this Giyo, will you?

"PROPER STUDENTS" (or teachers, for that matter!)DON'T KNOW IT ALL. What's more, what THEY do KNOW, they do BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS TAUGHT THEM (and probably they've also been thinking about it for much longer than the ones who don't know).

BTW, your words of gratitude mean a lot to me, especially today... You know, quite often I find myself wondering whether I'm not making some people's life harder for them, something I honestly feel I'd have no right to!!!

So thank YOU for your commitment, honesty and love.

Your teacher and learner,
Gladys