15.6.08

Politics and Ethics


Two issues that bear a close relation when we talk about being free to choose or take decisions, for example.
Politics pursues the aim of organizing a peaceful coexistence between human beings in a country so everyone can choose what it is convenient for them.
I think that in order to make an opinion about POLITICS you have to know a lot about the political history of a country, that’s why I can not make an opinion about which one was better than other or why we are going through this current situation in our country.
Savater takes into account two aspects:
The Political System of a country has to respect citizen’s freedom of speech, expresion and choice.
And it also has to guarantee assistance of those who need help or suffer financial problems.
Taking these aspects into account I think that there are many examples in which politicians are not taking conscious decisions about what is ethically correct for us as a society.
Although we live in a “democratic” country, sometimes it seems as if we are under a dictatorial regime where nobody feels free of choosing what it is convenient.
Moreover, we don’t have to watch the tv to see that there are many people from the North who have nothing to eat, we just travel by train and you’ll find many poor, dirty children asking for money.
That’s why I wonder where politicians study ethics, why they can’t do anything to solve our problems, why they vigorously pursue their interests and their needs or the needs of few rich people.
Would it be because the ones who voted for them were not responsible at all?

4 comments:

RomiMermel said...

Hi gi!
I really don´t know where Politician studied ethics or even if they did, either!
What I can tell you is that maybe it´s in our hands to make life a little bit better.
Of course there are many problems that we alone cannot handle and need more help, but if we at least teach our students our daily situation (they live it as well) and we work with them to try to live a good life, we are definetly contributing to it, don´t you think?

Gladys Baya said...

I certainly appreciate Romina's approach to this matter, let me tell you!

Mind you, Giyo, politics can be considered at the national level, but at a much lower level, too. It's probably too hard to judge national politics for you and me, but... what kind of politics does your school support? What kind of politician are you as a teacher?

And when you say Argentinean politicians have "not studied ethics", whose ethics are you taking into account?

What a mess, right? ;-)
Fondly,
Gladys

PS: mind you, you don't even need to get on a train to see starving people, and you may not even to walk up to the corner to meet someone neglected in many other ways...

Giyo said...

Gladys!
I haven't thought about Politics in that way...so, now I feel that I'm the President of the classroom...Yeah!
Well, I think that my classes are very democratic lessons...for example, when we date a test, I prefer my students to choose when they want to take the exam, of course, giving them 2 or 3 options...

When I said Politician do not studied ethics, I mean that they do not follow my own ethical rules, it seems that there isn't another ethics that the one I believe it is correct, isn't it?
it seems that I always forget that I am not living alone in this world!!!
But, believe me, I'm working very hard on that.. as I told you, these reflections made me change a lot!
Kisses!

Gladys Baya said...

It's always a pleasure to share your learning, Romina!

You're indeed your class leader ("president", bah!). But remember, power brings about a tremendous responsibility!!! Now it's time to choose what kind of politician you want to be with your class. :-P And don't forget some of our future political leaders might be sitting among your learners today!

Way to go!
Gladys

PS: would you ever consider allowing your students to decide now when to have a test, but whether to have a test?