6.9.08

Educating Rita by Willy Russell


Rita is a twenty-six-year old hairdresser who has taken the decision of enrolling on a literature course at the Open University, where she met her tutor, Frank.
I think that Rita wants to study because she feels she would be able to become a better person than who she actually is.
She wants a change in her life which makes her feel she is alive and free to choose what she wishes for her life. She feels ready to meet the challenge of studying what she desires. Besides she wants to learn “everything”, she needs to fulfil herself to succeed as a person.
I believe that this change, maybe, would also contribute to her not being influenced by people’s feelings or thoughts so it is not going to be others’ beliefs but hers.

4 comments:

romina said...

Hi Gi: I totally agree with you when you say that Rita started studying, in a way to become a better person and also because she wants a change in her life!
See you
Romina F

Gladys Baya said...

I've been so had to find you blogging once again, Giyo! 8-D!!!

Here are some questions I hope you can help me answer:

1. Do you think studying can actually make Rita "a better person"? And what would that exactly be?
2. Can Frank teach Rita
“everything”? Should he tell her so?

I hope learning also helps you become autonomous, as you predict it might help Rita!

Fondly,
Gladys

Giyo said...

Hi Gladys!
yes, I think that studying makes us feel better and consequently, be a better person. We don't only study Ethics, Grammar or Language but we also learn about life, how others manage to have a better life so it helps us, by experience, what is convenient for us and for the people who surrounds us.
It is difficult to explain what a BETTER PERSON would be, it is a broad "definition" that covers many things...
To me, one of the most important would be: Respect yourself and others...what do you think?
I don't think Frank can teach Rita everything, he is not the owner of all the knowledge Rita needs to know.
Both of them are going to learn together, Frank from Rita and viceversa...
I'm glad to feel better, so I can reflect and answer your difficult questions!!!hahahhaa!!
see you! big hug!

Gladys Baya said...

I admire your spirit, Giyo! It's good to see you keep giving your best and moving towards your next "peak".

What's a better person?... Not sure, but definitely a happier one! :-D!I like your idea that school teaches us by enabling us to share experiences, I's like to add a good school should also prepare to think by ourselves, so that we can find our own answers to the "big questions", instead of simply "re-living" what others have lived... (big goal, isn't it?).

Ok, so let's keep reading, blogging, commenting, ... and learning with Rita and Frank!

LOL,

Gladys