31.5.08

In your shoes, In my shoes…


I think that trying to put ourselves in somebody’s shoes is one of the best way of humanizing when we want to live a better life. To be in somebody’s shoes is to understand why a person does or does not do something.
Non-one else can say what its value to him/her is - only we can be the judge of the decisions we take.
However, It is sometimes very easy to judge somebody when you are not involved in the situation or from what you simply see.
Sometimes there are some people who behave or react as they can be, and not as they want to, because everyone is different and every human being has a different life.
When a friend ask me to put myself in her shoes, I try to think objectively without thinking she is my friend, if not I’ll be influenced by my feelings.
So don’t judge a book by its cover, the proof of the pudding is in the eating…

Your mind is made up you won’t even try
You didn’t even cry this time
You say that we could never see eye to eye
And one of us just must be blind
We have our differences
We’re still the same
See what we want to see
But you take a second look
And maybe things wouldn’t seem the same
If you could see what you mean to me
Put yourself in my shoes
Walk a mile for me
I’ll put myself in your shoes
Maybe then we’d see
That if you put yourself in my shoes
You’d have some sympathy
And if I could only put myself in your shoes
I’d walk right back to me
You’re gonna keep walkin’ and you’re gonna pass me by
You say you don’t even care
But I could always recognize a real good-bye
And I know your heart’s not there
We’ve had our differences
We’re still the same
Hear what we want to hear
Now I’m head over heels in the lost and found
It’s a cryin’ shame
I thought we made the perfect pair
Put yourself in my shoes
Walk a while walk that mile for me
I’ll put myself in your shoes
Maybe then we’d see
That if you put yourself in my shoes
You’d have some sympathy
And if I could only put myself in your shoes
I’d walk right back to me
I’d walk right back to me
I’d walk right back to me

By Clint Black

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Miriam Rodriguez said...

Hi Gi! I wrote something similar in my two of my posts, so we agree!
It´s great when we can place in somebody else´s shoes, because that means we have the capacity of observing things from a different perspective that is not our own.
See u next class
Miriam

Gladys Baya said...

Lovely lyrics, Giyo! Have never heard the song, I'm afraid, will try and google for it later...

Some thoughts:
1. People alwaysact their best (remember Savater's first words?). As my Psychology teacher at TTC would tell me: "We are what we can be, not what we'd like to be."

2. I wonder why feelings should play a negative influence upon your understanding your friend... After all, your friend'd be after empathy, not objectivity, right? And how could love be harmful to someone?

Anyway, why should all this matter to you, an EFL teacher? :-?

Can already imagine you typing furiously to reply! ;-)

Fondly,
Gladys

Giyo said...

Hi Gladys!
Reflecting on your question, I think that teachers play an important role in every child's life, we have a great responsiblity!!I mean, teachers should try to look at the situations objectively, for example should not label our students. Once he or she is labeled, it’s a stigma that stays with him until something changes.
We should be the first to praise a student’s efforts and show we really care. Put ourselves in their shoes would be the way to understand our students...what do you think?
LOL!

Gladys Baya said...

Well, once again, I do agree with your ideas, Giyo, except when you emphasize the need for objectivity as a pre-requisite for empathy... To me, only if we allow our feelings to "speak up" we'll be able to really see the world through other('s) crystals...

Surely this discussion will crop up at some time during the course... let's give it up for the time being!

Love,
Gladys