13.5.08

Living happily


Doing what you want and face the consequences is not a strain when you are a teenager, because you do not take much care about it, but, is it easy to be aware of what you really want at that age? And if Ethics is about discovering how to live better or how to have a good life, why don’t we study ethics at school, when we are younger? Do all parents teach their children how to have a good life? Why isn’t there a book about how to live correctly as it is about Geography or Maths? So, we start learning how to live good, step by step...
When you become an adult you consider the consequences and know what you want, you also must respect people are around you. If you treat a person as if he was a furniture you will find out that the same will happen when somebody treats you. This is what Savater reflects on in this chapter. So, it is not only important to live a good life but make others live a good life, too.
The problem is that sometimes we do not achieve our own aims because we spend our time thinking about what will make feel happy to others.
I couldn’t think about this until I became an adult, I’m still looking for the best way of living, all the time. I’ve just realized that I’ve been scared of taking decisions just because I’m interesting in making others live a good life.
Taking all this into account, I believe that life is about learning to build a balance between what is convenient for me and the people who is around me, what makes them feel happy, without forgetting my own happiness.
As teachers, we should teach our students to find in their feet what makes them feel joyful, respecting others and of course, themselves as human beings
.

1 comment:

Gladys Baya said...

Being a teen is not that easy, Giyo! Precisely because you're not certain about what you want from life, but you're well aware of that uncertainty!!! :-P Teens frequently experience limited freedom, and this can be frustrating indeed... In short, the combination of "little freedom", recently discovered responsibility and uncertainty about your aims can be overwhelming, believe me!

I believe there's no book to tell you how to live your life because it can't be written by others: you have to find your answers out by your self... To put it in Savater's words, "nobody can be free for you"!

I wish you a happy life.
Love and blessings,
Gladys